Monday, January 08, 2007

Finger Lakes Wine Tasting Room Notes

I went to four wineries yesterday to do some tastings. I had been to one of them once prior, and it was the first time I got hit in the face with the "I don't really like my job" and "I wish you would taste your wine and go" attitude. It was at the end of the tasting hours in the 4 o'clock hour and two of the wineries, one more restrained than the other, were just kind of zooming through the motions. We can all understand that at the end of the work day, most of us want to spend time with our families, go to class, or go to dinner, or whatever. Yes, we all want to be somewhere else. The wineries are sophisticated businesses existing to make wine and make money making wine. Most wineries recognize it, but not all put it into practice, and that is that the wineries are also in the hospitality business, especially in their tasting rooms. It leaves a bad impression encountering this, "I wish you would taste your wine and go" attitude. I would recommend the wineries add yet another item to their ever growing "To Do List" and spend more time training their front line staff on the basics of hospitality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home